Preventing Electrical Fires: Telltale Signs

Any home or commercial structure may experience a disastrous electrical fire, often without warning. One of the main causes of house fires in Australia is electrical fires. They continue in an unpleasant pattern. According to some statistics, electrical problems were to blame for 40% of home fires in New South Wales and for the majority of home fires in Western Australia.

Overloaded power boards, sockets, and outdated wiring are the two main causes of electrical fires. Meanwhile, improper use of electrical equipment and malfunctioning appliances are further electrical hazards.

Everyone must be aware of the dangers of electrical problems and the seriousness of an electrical fire. Prevention and maintenance are the best lines of defense to ensure that your home is always well-protected. Any building’s electrical wiring has the potential to cause a fire through a process called “arcing.” When a current jumps across a gap or breaks the circuit, it causes arcing, resulting in heat and sparks. These sparks and heat may, under the appropriate circumstances, ignite the surroundings.

It is essential to recognize their warning indications for preventing electrical fires. Because of this, the Liffey Electrical team has compiled a list of the most typical indications of electrical fires.

Electrical Fire Warning Signs

The most typical warning signals or indicators of an electrical fire are listed below. We strongly advise contacting a licensed electrician for a residential or commercial assessment in Perth if you frequently experience one of these symptoms.

Changing Lights

If you’ve ever wondered why your lights flicker, arcing caused by shoddy connections inside your home’s electrical system may be the cause. Lights that consistently flicker or fade are frequently an indication of frayed or loose connections. Make a note of the room it is happening in and call a specialist if this problem persists even after changing light bulbs.
Lighting and Power Perth - Liffey Electrical
Rewiring Services Perth

Breaking The Law Frequently

In most homes, occasional breaker tripping is typical. Still, if it frequently happens each week that can point to a short circuit. A short circuit is a situation with excessive electrical current flow due to poor connections.
The breaker trips because the current level is dangerous, stopping the energy flow. When this happens, fuses could also blow, so it’s a good idea to swap them out with new ones that are the right size.

Outlets Releasing Heat Or Smell

It’s common for overloaded outlets to feel warm to the touch. These outlets sometimes even emit an unpleasant odor with a fire or smokey scent. Ensure you use only what an outlet can handle, and use good surge protectors or power bars.
These power bars should not be positioned underneath rugs, clothing, or any other items that could trap heat or start a fire.

Prevention Of Electrical Fires

As they say, prevention is preferable to treatment. Never use frayed extension cords to lower the chance of an electrical fire.
Consider replacing light switches and power outlets over 20 years old. If the wiring in your home is seriously deteriorating, you should consider your family’s safety and consider rewiring the building. Also, pay attention to warning indicators like flickering lights or circuit breakers continually tripping.
To be on the lookout for are:
Fuse Switchboard installation
In conclusion, always pay attention to the electrical systems in your home. Make sure all the electrical outlets, light bulbs, and appliances are current. Avoid operating too many appliances at once or overloading circuits. And if you ever have any concerns regarding the electrical safety of your house, get in touch with a certified electrician for a comprehensive check.
Please contact the certified electricians at Liffey Electrical via our website or by phone at 0422 030 861 if you are currently observing any of these symptoms. Our staff can conduct a comprehensive inspection to ascertain the reason and carry out repairs to maintain the safety of your house or facility.